Secret #1: Avoid Common Misconceptions
•Going with the lowest price saves you money.
•Doing it yourself saves money.
•If a person claims to have many years of experience, they must do quality work.
Secret #2: Common Scams
•Beware of door-to-door contractors.
Secret #3: How to choose the Right Contractor; 11 questions to ask before inviting them out to YOUR home
1. Do you carry general liability insurance?
2. Do you carry worker's compensation insurance?
3. Will you provide me with a written lien waiver?
4. Are you a member of the NAHB?
5. Will you handle all the required building permits?
6. Do you warranty your work? And how long does the warranty last?
7. Who will be in charge of the job?
8. Will you provide me with written references?
9. What percentage of your business is repeat or referral business?
10. How many projects like mine have you completed in the last year?
11. How do you handle job cleanliness?
Secret #4: The Biggest Mistakes Homeowners Make and How to Fix Them
•Listening to the wrong people
- Call at least three of the references you've been given.
- Visit the references and see example work.
Secret #5: How to tell if your remodeling project will run smoothly - Before you sign a contract
•Chemistry with the salesperson
•Professionally written proposal
Secret #6: Plan your Project!
•The greatest secret of all...
•Plan your project with a qualified remodeling expert; call a Remodelers Council member today!
WHY HIRE AN HBRANV MEMBER?
Membership in the HBRANV represents:
HBRANV members pride themselves on adherence to a code of ethics, maintaining the highest level of industry knowledge, and giving back to the community.
HBRANV members use leading technologies, products and knowledge to ensure your home will be built or remodeled to meet the highest industry and government standards and will maintain a higher value over time.
STABLITY & RELIABILITY
For over 60 years, HBRANV members have built a strong reputation as industry professionals who meet the highest standards. You can have peace of mind knowing that their proven track records and references mean the promise of reliability.
EDUCATION & TRAINING
HBRANV educational workshops and programs, as well as our NAHB Certified Graduate Builder and Certified Graduate Remodeler and Certified Graduate Associate programs, provide opportunities for training and certification to all our members.
HBRANV members work with a high degree of skill, integrity and professionalism so that you can rest assured your home was built or renovated the right way, increasing the long term value of your home.
HBRANV members are trusted professionals throughout the industry due to the programming, education, and industry awards they receive. Just ask someone they've worked for!